Drakart

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

mshacked
1st Gear Member

Drakart

Post by mshacked » Fri Jan 19, 2001 4:54 pm

Does anybody know anything about Drakart. They seem really good but I've never seen one in person. What have you Guy's and Gals heard?(If all goes well there miight be one at Glamis next big weekend)

Tim Wight
ASA Public Safety Vice Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Tim Wight » Fri Jan 19, 2001 6:13 pm

The car is OK but the new mini-rail ATV racing is building now is awesome. The price difference is not that much money and what you get with the ATV racing car is a lot more.Tim WightMesa, AZ.Forum ModeratorMount a whip, the life you save may be your own!Dune On!Check this link out!http://www.sharetrails.org/

Winston Cup
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Winston Cup » Fri Jan 19, 2001 6:18 pm

Maybe when Dunepilot gets back in town he will tell you everything you want to know about it. He has driven the Drakart and thinks highly of it. He also knows the builder well. Dunepilot is also an automotive engineer, so when he says it's good, I believe him. I think he will be back next week.Guy ChrestForum AdministratorASA Supporter / Volunteerasaboardinfo@aol.com

KingGlamis

Post by KingGlamis » Fri Jan 19, 2001 10:09 pm

I can't give an opinion on the Drakart, but I have driven the ATV Racing TazCar and it is awesome. Really fun to rip through the dunes in. Great power and suspension. And from what I can tell, very well built. It looks like it would be hard to break the TazCar. Just my two cents.Doug DixonEditorSand Sports MagazineASA supporterKeep our dunes clean and open!www.sandsports.nethttp://clubs.yahoo.co ... ershangout

Tim Wight

Post by Tim Wight » Fri Jan 19, 2001 10:48 pm

Doug, is that car gonna be in your next edition of sand sports. I hope to see it on the front page! Its a good looking car. I'm goning to meet Neil on his next trip to have my wife test drive it. We may be selling her modified ppilot to get one. It sure looks good!Tim WightMesa, AZ.Forum ModeratorMount a whip, the life you save may be your own!Dune On!Check this link out!http://www.sharetrails.org/

mshacked
1st Gear Member

Post by mshacked » Mon Jan 22, 2001 2:18 pm

Neil ? from AZ.Hes the one who has the Drakart for sell.Actually price is an issue. Any other alternatives to these cars that won't leave me broke?

KingGlamis

Post by KingGlamis » Mon Jan 22, 2001 9:08 pm

Tim, not sure yet if the ATV Racing car will be in the next issue or not. But hopefully you will see it in Sand Sports soon. You must understand we photograph a lot of vehicles, so sometimes they have to wait a few issues to be featured. However, I too like the buggy a lot, and will try to get it featured soon.Doug DixonEditorSand Sports MagazineASA supporterKeep our dunes clean and open!www.sandsports.nethttp://clubs.yahoo.co ... ershangout

Dunepilot
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Dunepilot » Tue Jan 30, 2001 9:28 pm

Mshacked: I have driven the Drakart Formula Cross featured in the Feb '01 issue of Dirt Wheels and am very impressed with it. The vehicle is very powerful, comfortable and well made. The attention to detail is top notch. The team at Drakart have done a superb job in the designing, engineering and manufacturing of most of the components on the car. Best of all, they aren't sitting still, as they are continously improving the product, and listening to their customers. To give you an example of what I call excellent customer service: A customer purchased a Drakart Formula Cross from a distributor who had ineffectively modified the vehicle, in an effort to improve it. These mods severely changed the gear ratio, handling and suspension which affected the vehicles' performance in a less than desirable manner. The customer, after being told by the distributor that the problem was not the mods but the car itself, called Drakart. Drakarts' Director (owner) flew out from Quebec, Canada (HQ) to California to fix it. Even though the vehicle had been extensively modified by this distributor, Drakarts' Director still fixed it. BTW: The causes of the problem were those very modifications. I don't know of too many businesses where the owner will fly out to fix a problem on a modified vehicle that really should have been fixed by the installer of such mods. I'm sure the Sand Limo car ATV Racing had built/designed (or whatever) for them is a fine product, but with a Drakart Formula Cross starting at $13,900 and an entry level vehicle starting around $7,900 vs $25K for the ATVR car, I'd go with a Drakart. Heck if I had 25K, I'd buy a Drakart and a trailer to haul it. DunePilotTechnical Forums Moderator,ASA Supporter

clill
1st Gear Member

Post by clill » Fri Feb 02, 2001 9:12 pm

Hi all. I'm new here but I just ordered a Drakart. Should be here in a couple weeks. They are now using a 108 hp Rotax engine, up from 102 hp.Clill: I deleted two (2) duplicate posts, nothing in your text. BTW: Congrats on the Drakart purchase, you will be happy you bought it. If you have any problems, give Alain at Drakart a call, he's easy to talk to and wants you to be satisfied. Edited by - Dunepilot on 02/07/2001 6:22:22 PMEdited by - Dunepilot on 02/07/2001 6:22:59 PM

clill
1st Gear Member

Post by clill » Thu Feb 08, 2001 11:29 am

Alain is who I ordered it from, nice guy. I think he will do very well. Sorry about the duplicate posts, it just came up 3 times. I have 3 Pilots and 2 Odyssey's in various conditions and something will have to go. Might find out I need a 2nd. Drakart. :-)

Dunepilot
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Dunepilot » Thu Feb 08, 2001 4:17 pm

Clill: No big deal on the duplicates, have had it happen to me too. Alain and I are planning to be in Glamis around Feb 23rd. I'll try to remember to repost when I know for sure.DunePilotTechnical Forums Moderator,ASA Supporter

Poiks

Post by Poiks » Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:28 pm

Got an e-mail today from the owner of Drakart. Interesting little tidbit:

quote:PS we have a new model in rpoduction Formulacross four stroke 993cc triple
EFI

Radicalized by the greens ...
Remember, there are 32,000 acres for hiking, and no hikers.

Poiks

Post by Poiks » Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:36 am

I have a few questions for Dunepilot (or anyone else who has driven the Drakart). I'm seriously considering one.

Is the CVT transmission effective? I'd generally prefer a manual trans.
Does the Drakart handle and "dune" like an ATV, or a buggy?
I read a review that mentioned serious, annoying vibration. Was this your experience?
Does the Drakart have the power and traction to get up the big hills?
Any other considerations? The TazCar is just too expensive I think--if I understand their site correctly, the car goes for about $25K.
Is the Drakart subject to green/red sticker regulations?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Edited by - Poiks on 07/25/2002 09:37:28 AM

Dunepilot
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Dunepilot » Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:45 pm

Poiks, while I haven't driven a TazCar, a few friends of mine have them and like them very much. I also can say the same for the Drakart, several friends have them and love em.

As for power the Drakart has more than enough to get up any hill Glamis can throw at it. I can not think of the hill name right now, but it is one of the largest ones out there and the Drakart can climb it, stop half way, then continue on up the rest of the way without missing a beat. Bottom line is it is fast and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. But being fast isn't everything, need to have suspension to go with it, and the Drakarts' got it. I find the ride over the whoops to be quite smooth. Having driven the car many times, I never found myself in a position where I thought it was lacking power.

The CVT trans is a proven powertrain (all the snowmobile manufacturers have used them for years, not to forget I've got em on my Pilots and have no complaints) and Alain (Drakarts' designer/owner) is constantly listening to feedback and improving his product. I've heard of some of the original cars (like the one ATV Racing has modified and trying to sell) burning belts but Alain has changed belt suppliers and it is no longer an issue. However keep in mind it is a wear item and won't last forever, so just like spark plugs, gas and oil, buy an extra...then you'll have a spare.

You're correct, Alain is working on a EFI 4 stroke, hopefully he'll have it ready in time for the SSSS. He's got lots of great stuff in the works...

Vibration: Yes. Annoying...depends. I don't think so, but with a helmet on, doesn't bother me. What's happening is; the roof and "B" pillar side panels are one piece, they surround the radiator and the upper portion of the engine compartment thus transmitting engine presence to the driver compartment. The panels are isolated from the frame with some anti-rub strips and it helps some but they do vibrate. Take a look at the pics on his site, you'll see it is a fully enclosed car. There is going to be more noise transmission with that setup. I won't sugar-coat this, the car is not particularly quiet with the 2 stroke, but then again, what two stroke, twin, with a performance exhaust system is quiet? Best I can say is to drive it and decide for yourself.

Regarding duning like a buggy or an ATV...can't say, never duned Glamis in a buggy before. Find out when Alain is going to Glamis again and hook up with him, he'll let you take one for a test drive.

I'm new to CA and am still learning about these green/red stickers, didn't have this mess in Michigan. There were two stickers you had to get, State Park and OHV, simple. Best to ask Alain about the red or green issue.

As for price, it is very competatively priced and has several models to choose from. As well as he'll build to your liking, if you see something you would want to have, ask, more than likely, he'll do it.

E-mail me off-line if you want any references of current owners...

DunePilot(Eric)
BBS Moderator
ASA Volunteer & Supporter

Poiks

Post by Poiks » Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:47 pm

Eric, thanks for taking the time to respond in such detail! I appreciate it.

Jon

Dunepilot
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Dunepilot » Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:37 pm

Glad to be of help...

DunePilot(Eric)
BBS Moderator
ASA Volunteer & Supporter

TIGER
1st Gear Member

Re: Drakart

Post by TIGER » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:31 am

I have a Drakart Tiger with a Suzuki GSXR 750 in it. I live by Edmonton Canada and havent had a chance to get to Glamis yet but I drive it around here. Goes like hell untill top end of 4th gear then it turns a little doggy. 4X4 Quades cant climb hills it does as long as you can stay in the throttle. It is a blast on icy roads. Kind of got screwed over when I bought it new, took 5 months longer to get built than it was supposed to, was supposed to be powder coated, it wasnt, was supposed to have a new engine in it, it didnt, some of it wasnt put together properly, reverse leaver cable wasnt adjusted properly, gear wasnt fully engaging & broke reverse gear, took months to get, bolts werent tight on rear suspension, link arm fell off in mid air, landed & bent an axle, suspension wasnt set up properly, first jump I hit the ***** end rebounded off the top of the jump so hard it just about flipped me over frontwards, landed on the nose, blew both front tires & broke the steering box.
That being said it is an excellent machine once you put it together properly. Can not find parts for it. I just welded up the steering box. Just havent found who made some of the parts on it. I would love to have a Hayabusa powered one. Would build one if I could get another transmition, I am the only one in Canada with one of these I believe except for a guy in Edmonton has a 2 seater so I ride by myself because a quad will never keep up. Working on buying 160 acres so I can build a dirt track with jumps ect. It isnt really great for riding in taller grass in unknown territory because you sit to low to see hazards in time.
Want to know anything more just ask.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:04 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~thread resurection warning~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8 years old, might be a record
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:31 am

Since its been resurected.... I saw the rerun of this on Top Gear the other day. Good stuff starts at 1:31.

Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Return to “Pilot & Odyssey”