Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

URGENT!!! NOT SHIFTING

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:48 am

URGENT NOT SHIFTING

I was suppose to leave Dec 26th for my trip to Glamis. Got a new (rebuilt) gearbox for my FL350 (SAME shifting assembly for the Pilot) by a reputable mechanic. I AM able to get it to go in both forward and reverse, just not via the shifter. I took the cable assembly off and got the cables moving freely. I lined up the notch and punch marks, I even tried it one before and one after. NO LUCK!!!

The guy I got the gearbox from is closed until the 27th so I’m desperate for ANY help. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:14 am

Sounds like to me the cables are not adjusted properly.
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:29 pm

Thanks Vince. I followed the manual EVERY step.http://www.atlanticpaints.com/Manuals/P ... 0FL350.pdf
That’s why this has me baffled
:-k :-k :-k :x :-k [-o< [-o< 8-[

Vincent J Brunasso

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:03 pm

Try backing the adjusters out as far as they will go - see what happens.
Vincent J. Brunasso

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:11 pm

I had to back them off a good inch each to achieve the 2mm. They are VERY tight now. Seemed a bit too tight compared to how it was when I first put it back together (last know good). I even brought the adjusters all the way in so they were quite loose. Made reverse easy but bound up trying to push the bottom cable back. If that makes sense. Even if I find a happy medium in the cable adjustments it seems like there is not enough forward throw in the lever to twist the shift rod.

Am I wrong when I think of the shifting assembly as a circle? One cable pulls while the other pushes? OR is it more... One cable pulls for forward, and the other cable pulls for reverse?

Thanks for helping me trouble shoot this thing on Christmas.

Vincent J Brunasso

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:26 pm

OR is it more... One cable pulls for forward, and the other cable pulls for reverse?
IIRC this is correct.
Vincent J. Brunasso

--Thomas Jefferson

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:07 pm

Holly crud!!!!!

A friend came by this afternoon and on the advice I gave him that I WAS able to manually get it into forward he spent over an hour messing with, adjusting and lubing the cables :oops: THEN he said he wanted to try to put it in forward manualy, so he took the cables back off put the key on the shift rod and put a pair of vice grips on the key and got it to twist HALF way into forward. It would NOT go into forward for him. So I guess I never had it in forward. :oops: :(

Now we'll see if good ole Oddyssey Salvage will take the gear box back and take a look at it OR if I'll have to crack it open and mess things up more. #-o

Atleast I didn't drag it out to the dunes and find out out there. :|

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Glamisbound » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:03 pm

So R U still going to make it out there for the 29th ride??
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Glamisbound wrote:So R U still going to make it out there for the 29th ride??
Yep **Those guys** said they needed someone to have gas down there for them. I volunteered. ***Them guys*** are still gonna do it. So I'm gonna leave here (Fontana) Friday morning, go by Woodys camp Friday morning, pick up the gas, Go drop off checkered bags we stuffed last Thursday at the drop off points up North then head down to the South and wait for ***The guys*** Fill em up. Take the cans back to Woodys camp then go home. I'll most likely stop by wash 16 for a bit, then head back home.

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:48 pm

Jon, I'm going to meet ***You Guys*** at Dune Buggy Flats on Friday. My son will probably be with me, but if you want to ride in the back seat of the Jeep, you can cruise with us for a while. I haven't talked to Jason yet, to see if he's going to make it out, but if he does he may have an open seat in his rail.

Sorry to read about the gear box problems. :evil:
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:11 am

I think this would be a good place to put in a good word about Randy at Odyssey Salvage. Yes he got it wrong. But is making up for it. He gave me the choice of walking me through the rebuild over the phone, or shipping it back to him and he'll pay for shipping both ways. He mentioned something about a partial refund, but I don't care about that. If it were anybody else 2 months after I received it and found out it was put together wrong I would expect "sorry it was an AS IS purchase" Randy just doesn't work like that. So yes I didn't get to take my Odyssey out over New Years but I did get to ride in two AWESOME rails that I NEVER would have if my Odyssey was running.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:43 am

That's cool that he's a stand up guy.

What rails did you get to ride in?
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:05 pm

Glamisbound wrote:What rails did you get to ride in?
Well I meet Greg the winner of last years Tatum car at the Stuffing party in Huntington beach. He was going out to Glamis for the first time and had no one to camp with so I invited him to camp with us. I never got a response to my E-mail. Thursday morning I was down at Vendors and There he was. He got to comp and Olds so far. But had never seen the dunes beyond those two places. So I got his number and invited him back once our group was going on a ride. He was right down. We took him from 16 North to Olds, then South to Lizard-ish then circled back to Olds, then back to 16. It was a good ride. Both big and little stuff. Alot of it was virgin. He had to romp on it to keep sight of the tracks with the wind blowing. RickB led an awsome ride, and greg kept up GREAT with nothing but quads. I thought the other rail in our group was going, but they were taking their quads. So I hitched a ride in the Tatum. AWESOME CAR!!! GREAT driver.

The other car was the people in our group. You may recall a post by "Banshee Chick" last year who asked if $50K was a decent amount to put into a LT car. Well they did their homework and ended up with a BFD LT LS2 550HP 4 seater. I'm not saying the Tatum was less of a cr because they each had things the other didn't. What put the BFD over the top for me was the intercom and satellite radio. The grab bars helped a lot too. Here's a shot from inside Jeffs Rail.
My camera was dead when I went with Greg. So I used my cell camera. Haven't been able to retreave those pix yet. :(

Those were some of the best (longest) dune runs I've been on. Not close to the intensity of RX4INSANDITY ride. :shock: Two totally different kinds of rides. I likened the ride in Bansee Chicks car as sitting in an Imax theater and watching a video of the dunes it was that weird (different) usually I'm sweating, tired, and stressed by the time I get back into the dunes. Now I know why my daughter sold her 250 Odyssey so she could help get the rail and just ride shotgun. :roll:

I had just as much fun though putting 108 miles in my Dodge making a circles and a half around the ISDRA helping people get back where they belonged.

valen76
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by valen76 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:38 pm

Sounds like you had a lot more fun than I did. What did you do with the gear box? Fix it via the phone or send it back?
Darrin
68 Baja Bug
86 TRX310R
98 Bounder
06 Chevy

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:25 pm

valen76 wrote:Sounds like you had a lot more fun than I did. What did you do with the gear box? Fix it via the phone or send it back?
I'm sending it back. I guess there is a "trick" to putting the case all back together that "I might need extra hands for". With only one and a half hands my self, I thought it best to have him do it.

I'm gonna get on taking it ASAP. OK ASASIFLI (As Soon As I Feel Like It)
I'm not sure why but I'm FEELING like I rode hard for a couple of days, when in fact I did nothing more than load up here, drove out there, "set up" drove around in my truck for two days, sat shotgun on two dune runs, loaded up and drove home, then spent a day going through my trailer, doing laundry, and trying to upload pix. I must be getting old. :roll:

valen76
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by valen76 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:47 pm

Yeah I know the feeling....I ran 3 miles in 23 minutes and I was really tired. I was thinking man I must be getting old. Then I was sore the next day too. I need to start running more and more often :wink: Of course I have a different job than most. I remember I could not run for months and go out and run a 20 minute 3 mile like it was cool. Not anymore.
Darrin
68 Baja Bug
86 TRX310R
98 Bounder
06 Chevy

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:59 pm

WOO-HOO waited 3 months before I took the gear box out the first time because I was afraid I'd never get it back together. When I DID get up the nerve to take it out it took me three days. 4 months to pay off and get the rebuilt one. Over a month to get started at first I messed up my shoulder/neck then let it sit for a bit. After that it took me two days to get it all put back together when I found out something was wrong with it. Today around 2PM I decided I would go START taking it out. It was out by 5:30 :D :D :D :D :D

This is getting easy. I'm glad I have PT tomorrow though :wink:

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:13 am

I'm not sure what the problem was BUT it was done during the rebuild. He wrote me today and told me it was on it's way back. He apologized and wrote "I'm so embarrassed!" So I guess now we know it shouldn't have worked. He said he'd tell me over the phone what was wrong.

I still think Odyssey Salvage is a great place for Ody parts and service. As soon as he was aware of the problem he said "ship it back. I'll pay for it" I did, he took care of it and it's on its way back. No arguing, no "can I see your receipt", no "as is" No "sorry it's past it's 90 day warranty"

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:20 am

That's great Jon. Glad it worked out. Sounds like a 1st rate outfit. 8)
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Return to “Pilot & Odyssey”