Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

Help mounting a second tank???

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:50 pm

Now that I know my 350 Ody will go ANYWHERE I want it to, I NEED to put a second tank on it. Has anybody that has done this able to give me some adice on how to hook this thing up? Is it best to tie it in with the rest of the fuel system OR leave it as a stand alone spare with a hose and a shut off valve? I know it's not good to let the 350 run empty so I would fill it up BEFORE it ran dry.

ALSO what's the best way to mount it? I have a spun aluminum tank already. I need to measure the diameter to see what size straps to get, BUT HOW do I mount the straps? Do I need to drill holes in the cage? Or is there another way to clamp them to the frame?

THANK YOU for ANY HELP.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

norocksplease
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by norocksplease » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:37 pm

1 issue comes to mind with that spun tank. You will more than likely mount it up high, raising the center of gravity, causings the vehicle to become more unstable. Looking at pictures, it looks like there might be some spare room off the side behind the seat. Perhaps some small fuel cells and a fuel pump or something.

Just a suggestion

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:18 pm

norocksplease wrote:1 issue comes to mind with that spun tank. You will more than likely mount it up high, raising the center of gravity, causings the vehicle to become more unstable. Looking at pictures, it looks like there might be some spare room off the side behind the seat. Perhaps some small fuel cells and a fuel pump or something.
Just a suggestion
Thanks Norocks. It LOOKS, and people often ask if it's top heavy. It's close to 700lbs and maybe about 70lbs of it is above the engine. You gotta do quite a lot to tip one, just ask anyone who was following me NY weekend. Also the space behind the seat has a lot to do with cooling the motor. I've seen a boat load of spun tanks mounted on the back. I, so far, have not heard anything negitive about that. BUT I'd like to IF anybody has had a problem with mounting them there.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

RichB
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by RichB » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:16 pm

I'd definetly say they were pretty stable after some of steep slides we took you on over NY :shock: I still can't believe that bad boy duned as good as it does.

stugots
1st Gear Member

tank

Post by stugots » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:02 pm

There is plenty of room for a extra tank.
I fit mine in with a radiator duel air and still some access to the motor

Return to “Pilot & Odyssey”