Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

I'm pretty sure what you'll say, but I'll ask any way

Post by Sloppyduner » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:59 am

I'm a heavy guy in my 30s I had an acident that left me without use of my left foot. Well I Can use it some, but shifting a regular quad is difficult to say the least. I once had an FL 350. It was pretty cool, a Cadalic compaired to the quads I use to ride. I, for a long time, thought of getting a Pilot, but over MLK weekend I looked one over up close. Back when I had my 350 there were times I got stuck, had to get out and push/pull/lift it to get it unstuck. I found that looking at this Pilot that IF I had to lift the back end out of the sand I'd be up a creek. I was unable to climb suff like olds in my 350. I'm sure I could go Alot of places in a Pilot. BUT to bring me to my question I saw a V Force 700 2X http://www.kawasaki.com/admin/Flash/KFX700_print.html fully automatic quad from Kawi. They are both around the same price. The Pilot is a two stroke so theres mixing involved. The V Force takes pump gas. The V force seems lighter in the back end IF I were to bury it. My big question is I know parts for the Pilot are expensive when you can find them but the V-Force would be brand new and have some kind of warenty. I still like the idea of the full cage and less ease it takes to drive an FL over a quad I'm just looking for some reasons why going for a Pilot would be much better than going for the big automatic quad. Thanks in advnce for ANY help.

Bill

----------------------------------------------------
nt a Sloppy person just a Sloppy rider

Poiks
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Poiks » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:12 am

Having ridden quads and driven a Pilot, I can only say that they're VERY different. A Pilot doesn't feel like a buggy, really, but it doesn't feel like a quad, either.

My buddy just got a Pilot this year and loves it. If it were up to me, though, I'd get a quad. More maneuverable, more "free," and more control than a Pilot. But the Pilot's a blast, too. Good luck and you'll have fun either way.

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:04 pm

Bill - Here is an ad for a V-force in the Yuma Sun Classifieds
2004 KAWASAKI V-FORCE 700 Pipes sand tires, low bars, less than 5 hours, like new, $7,000.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:36 pm

Thanks LoBuck That's the price I was gonna pay from the dealer. would like to know WHY someone would get rid of one :?:

So I just called the poor guy. "I just dumped so much **** monney into it then I fell off and broke my wrist. **** things just too much for a guy my age" :(
Last edited by Sloppyduner on Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thor
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by thor » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:08 pm

Polaris also has some nice auto's

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:40 am

Ya Thor I rode a 400 Sport out at Glamis thats what made me go hmmmmm. Then I saw the 700 and said HOLY (fill in the blank) :lol:
I mean the 400 was nice but since it looks like 'll be making payments on either, I want to go big this time.

LTZ 400
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by LTZ 400 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:13 am

I had an acident that left me without use of my left foot. Well I Can use it some
The big question is how is your foot for standing? On a quad there are many times during a ride that you need to stand; going through whoops, shifting weight, etc.
I see where you did ride a quad but did you really take it for a hard drive. It would really suck to drop the cash and find you can't ride as hard as you want.
Maybe a rail with an auto trans? Anyone build one?
Good luck,

David

NOSJunkie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by NOSJunkie » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:36 am

There quite a few rails at Sand mountain that are small block chevys with a toranado transaxle that is auto..Dont know who makes them..
34' Pace Arrow
1 Ton CJ7
LIVE FREE OR DIE (NH State motto)

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:16 am

LTZ my foot is "ok" for walking standing, even driving a stick on the Hwy every now and then. Ther problem I'm having with the standard trans quad is the diferance between the foot peg and the gear shift. At times I thought I was down shifting BUT my foot would be so far over to the outside of the peg I was nowhere close to the shifter. Then theres the opposite where I go to stablise myself to get ready for some hill, turn, or something that requires me to put my weight on my left foot and I accidently knock it out of gear, screwing Everything up. I have been somewhat sucsessful riding a quad in "my condition" Even in the big stuff behind Olds. Only latly have I found that I DO have enough, of what ever it takes, to get my butt off the seat and ride!

Down the road I HAVE been thinking of getting a buggy of some kind but that would also call for a trailer. One thing at a time.

Thank you all for all the help, info and sugestions.

Bill

imaweirdo159
1st Gear Member

Post by imaweirdo159 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:30 pm

Having ridden both id go with the vforce. Unless your foot cant handle the weight then id go with the pilot. One other thing tho, most of the time when i get stuck in a pilot i just throw it into reverse and out i go. I dont really think ive ever had to lift it out. With a vforce, yes you could lift it out but it also has reverse so i guess you could do the same thing...
2004 TLD Polaris Predator with a few ups.

"If you havent you should, because this is fun and fun is good." Dr. Suess

Corky

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:08 pm

WHOA!!! This is an old thread. I forgot all about it. As of this season I have a Corvair powered rail. WAY less shifting than a VW Big dunes 1st gear. Small dunes 2'nd gear. I also have a like new 85 Odyssey. It runs better than ANY Ody I ever had, or anybody elses I've drove. So for now I'm set up. Thanks everybody for posting your help.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

nico
1st Gear Member

Post by nico » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:41 am

Keep in mind that there were two available engines in the 85 Ody... Some, early models I think, came with a 320-330cc engine while the later models were closer to 350cc's. I have had buddies that thought they were all the same, mostly owners of smaller engines, get wasted by a mostly stock true 350s...

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:05 am

nico wrote:Keep in mind that there were two available engines in the 85 Ody... Some, early models I think, came with a 320-330cc engine while the later models were closer to 350cc's. I have had buddies that thought they were all the same, mostly owners of smaller engines, get wasted by a mostly stock true 350s...
Hmm I'm egar to see that data. As far as I knew ALL were 329.1CC. But my current one with the crate motor is FAR quicker than the others I've driven.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

nico
1st Gear Member

Post by nico » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:08 pm

I may stand corrected, but Wiseco lists two piston sets for the 1985 FL350. One is shown to be for the 78.5 bore, 68 mm stroke 329.1 cc motors. The other (later?) factory combination is a 80 mm bore and a 68 mm stroke to equal 341.8 cc's. All replacement pistons start at the 80 mm bore. If your's was rebuilt, it was probably built to the later specs and larger bore...

Return to “Pilot & Odyssey”