Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Yamaha Raptor 660R Stopped Running

Post by Sandcock » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:20 am

Well, the engine started making a noise my last time out to Ocotillo Wells and with the upcoming aSa trip coming up I decided to take a chance and run it. It would be my second trip out to "G" this season and I needed some sand time. I'm sure you guys understand the itch :lol:

I made it out on a couple of rides and on the third ride it stopped running.

I changed the oil and oil filter out before I came out, but decided to check the oil after my tow back :oops: I was low, which has been a frequent thing. I've been looking for signs of an oil leak or of burning oil and was not really able to find anything of significance. I found a little leak around the dip stick and changed out the "O" ring (the existing one was hard) and solved that problem.

On Wednesday, 6 April 2011, I removed the plastics, fuel tank, exhaust pipes and cam cover. I noticed that their was oil around the end of the breather hose. I am thinking this is the source of the oil leak. When I modified the air box the breather hose was disconnected and allowed to hang tucked away.

I've never had a problem with oil escaping through the breather hose, so this needs to investigation. I also noticed that the timing chain was loose. This could be the source of not wanting to run. So today, off comes the head to inspect the valves and piston. Hopefully there is no damage. I will also be checking the cylinder for wear.

I'll post some pics later for those interested.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Sandcock

Re: Yamaha Raptor 660R Stopped Running

Post by Sandcock » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:17 pm

well, got it broke down as far as I need to.

I was able to remove the timing chain without removing the tensioner, so that told me that I have an issue. Either the tensioner is bad or I have a stretched timing chain. I called North County Yamaha and talked with one of the techs. He said that the tensioner usually doesn't go bad, but the chain stretches and should be changed out every two to three years if you ride quite a bit. My quad is 5-years old.

I went on to remove the head and noticed that the two exhaust valves have hit the top of the piston. This indicated that the time chain had jumped and explains the noise I heard in the engine. I looked in the exhaust ports and could see daylight with the exhaust valves seated. This indicates that I have bent valves.

My plan is to replace the piston and rings, timing chain and the exhaust valves. In replacing the exhaust valves I will have a machine shop cut new seats.

Pics below.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:11 pm

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:46 pm

Punch it out while you are in ther...BRAAAAAAPPPPPP
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:12 pm

You forget that I'm an "Old Guy" GB :) At this point in the game of life, running stock is a BIG thrill for me. It's not how fast the ride is 8) but the quality of the ride :wink:

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:49 pm

Waiting on parts. Taking the head down to get the exhaust seats cut hopefully Friday if I get the new exhaust valves by then. The machine shop says it'll take a week and a half due to work load. Hoping to have it back together before Memorial Day weekend [-o<

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:57 pm

Sandcock wrote:You forget that I'm an "Old Guy" GB :) At this point in the game of life, running stock is a BIG thrill for me. It's not how fast the ride is 8) but the quality of the ride :wink:
Funny, that's what my wife keeps telling me too.... :|
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:54 pm

Would have started putting the engine back together today, but I jacked up one of the cam cover guides :oops: Lapped in the two new exhaust valves and checked to see if they leaked by putting some mineral spirits in the exhaust ports. No leaks 8) Here's a comparison of the original chain to the new chain. I can only speculate that is was caused by the riding at Glamis, e.g. changing gears constantly and running at high rpms.

Shooting for a Memorial Weekend at OW..........are you in GB :?:

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:18 pm

Hum...I just got back from a 5 dayer an hour ago but I'm ready to go back...We'll see...
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Fri May 27, 2011 6:05 am

Got the 660 running again....taking it out to OW to break in the new piston. 100F Friday; 93F Saturday; 83F; and 95 Monday. @the Blu-in with full hook-ups, what you say GB :?:

Return to “ATV & Motorcycle”