Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

660 Raptor Hub

Post by Sandcock » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:43 pm

I was thinking of this out of the blue and thought I would bring the subject up. The rear left hub (on the chain/sprocket side) tends to loosen up. You can check yours by having the left rear wheel off the ground and then trying to rock the wheel to see if there is play in it. If there is, you need to take the wheel off, remove the cotter pin that goes through the castle nut that holds the hub on to the axle. The hub is fitted to the spline on the rear axle. Tighten the castle nut, align one of the cutouts with the hole in the axle to accept the cotter pin. Install the cotter pin and bend the ends. Then reinstall your wheel. I had to do this two times before it finally stayed titght.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: 660 Raptor Hub

Post by ChuckZilla » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:37 pm

I've used an impact to tighten my hub nuts and they still come loose. (yes I used cotter key) Over NY's I spun a hub, it was an older Banshee hub that came with some paddles I bought. My bike has a Durablu axle which may be the cause.
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

Sandcock

Re: 660 Raptor Hub

Post by Sandcock » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:00 am

I haven't had any problems with the right. I think there is culminating factors. One the hub is on the sprocket side (more direct torque to that side first) and the differences of hardness of the metals (the hub is softer than the axle). Its something that you hae to be aware of. I check mine when changing out the wheels when I go out to Ocotillo Wells or vise versa. My thinking when bringing this topic up is that many people only ride one type of surface, therfore wouldn't check the wheels for wobble. I was kind of shocked when I discovered the wobble on mine.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Return to “ATV & Motorcycle”