Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Which shocks/springs to plush out wife's quad

Post by WoodIsGood » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:32 am

Tracked up dunes, even moderately tracked up ones, beat the snot out of my wife - she's a petite 5'1 and about 120 lbs. She rides a completely stock 2005 Honda 400EX and is mostly a 2nd gear rider (she's not afraid to wind it out though) with a bit of 3rd gear when we get into bigger stuff. She doesn't do hill climbs, only does small jumps, likes the bigger bowls and a smooth, flowing line the best (but those get tracked up the fastest too). Any suggestions on adjustments or modifications to her quad to smooth things out for her?

I have the front spring preload at its minimum. I haven't changed anything on the rear suspension.

I can't do longer a-arms because then the quad won't fit in our trailer. Can't do fatter front tires for the same reason unless I swap wheels on and off each trip (not a deal breaker, but definitely a pain).

I'm willing to spend some money, but don't want to break the bank.

Thanks for any help you can give.

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Installed steering damper - WOW, what a difference

Post by WoodIsGood » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:20 am

WoodIsGood wrote:Tracked up dunes, even moderately tracked up ones, beat the snot out of my wife - she's a petite 5'1 and about 120 lbs. She rides a completely stock 2005 Honda 400EX and is mostly a 2nd gear rider (she's not afraid to wind it out though) with a bit of 3rd gear when we get into bigger stuff. She doesn't do hill climbs, only does small jumps, likes the bigger bowls and a smooth, flowing line the best (but those get tracked up the fastest too). Any suggestions on adjustments or modifications to her quad to smooth things out for her?
I put a Precision Racing Products steering damper on my wife's 400EX and it helped immensely. Bump steer from the front wheels hitting obstructions (cross tracking; off kilter jump landings; bumps in the sand) is completely gone. Resistance in the steering is nearly imperceptible once you are moving at a good rate - you can still whip the bike around easily. This is a rotary damper, not a piston type. Went that way based on online reviews in spite of the $485 price tag :shock:. She says, and I agree, it was money well spent - I'm planning to get one for me too.

Still considering different shocks to make things even better.

azsandrider
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Re: Which shocks/springs to plush out wife's quad

Post by azsandrider » Mon May 11, 2009 12:19 pm

I have a PRP and Elka Dune Shocks built for weight and riding style on my DS650 and there was a remarkable difference in the ride & handling. I like the shocks and stabilizer so well, I put them on 4X4 quad for riding in the mountains.

The cost of Elkas is well worth the quality and adjustability for the shocks.
(The above statement is my own opinion and not that of the ASA's.)

T. Wight
Mesa, AZ.
ASA Supporting Member
ASA Volunteer

Is your spouse an ASA member??? Numbers count!!

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro » Mon May 18, 2009 3:27 pm

WoodIsGood,

Elka's are the hot ticket from what my friends with them tell me :) . If they are too $$$$ you can try Works performance AT steelers :idea: . You can go from mild to wild :roll: . That's what's been on my TRX250R since 1989 with a few oil changes & a rebuild/revalve a while back :wink: . I have triple rate springs, remote reservors, & 2 or 3" more travel than stock. You can go without some of the options if you don't feel you need them, but they are all rebuildable, rechargable, & customizeable for your wieght, riding style, & type of riding your wife does :idea: .

Just another option :|

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

Fuzzy Knight
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Fuzzy Knight » Tue May 19, 2009 8:44 pm

Wife rides a Z400 - Put Works shocks on and she is really really happy with it. Big key is to tell them the rider weigh less than she does. I had hers set up for 110 lbs - Won't say what the wife weighs :roll:
Fuzzy
If every thing seems under control Your not going fast enough!
1986 250R
1986 250R CT 350 Kit
1986 250R Ct 350 PV Kit
1928 Model A Roadster
1953 Ford Club Coupe
1963 Fairlane 500 SportsCoupe
1963 1/2 Falcon Ranchero Original Factory V8 4 Speed

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:25 am

Got my wife some Elkas with the dune edition valving, reservoirs, and compression adjustment for the front - kept the stock rear. Nice shocks. They make a huge difference over the stock shocks. Would still buy the Precision steering stabilizer first since I think it made an even bigger difference than the shocks do.

Bought directly from Elka and with some haggling got them to drop the price 20% plus free shipping (they were offering 10% off from the start). Might get these for me too, but need to save some money first. Wife got them first because a happy wife means more dune trips for me :wink:

Return to “ATV & Motorcycle”